Sliced Steak Sandwich with Mustard
Hanger steak is the key to this affordable and delicious sandwich.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 2 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1½ lbs. trimmed hanger steak
- 3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large white onion, peeled and sliced
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. whole grain mustard
- 2 crusty hero rolls, split
- Marinate the steak in the Worcestershire sauce, red wine, and garlic powder for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Roast the steak in the oven for about 13 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 145°F (for medium).
- Heat a large skillet and add the oil. Sauté the onions for about 10 minutes or until the onions are soft and beginning to brown. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Slice rolls in half and toast for 6 minute in the heated oven. Remove from the oven and spread mustard on all sides.
- Slice the steak thinly across the grain of the meat. (Ignore the tendon that runs through this cut of meat; it is tender as long as it is sliced thin.) Pile the meat on the rolls and top with the onions. Cut in half and serve immediately.