Sloppy Joe Meatball Bread Boat
By combining two comfort food favorites – sloppy Joes and meatball subs – in one shareable bread “boat,” this recipe is ‘shore’ to find its way into your weekly meal rotation. Created by: Tasty
Serves: 8Prep: 15 minutesCook: 20 minutesTotal: 35 minutes
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄3 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- Vegetable oil
- 1 can (15 oz.) sloppy Joe sauce
- 1 large loaf soft Italian or French bread
- 8–10 slices provolone cheese
- Minced parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In large bowl, mix together egg, bread crumbs, kosher salt, tomato paste, brown sugar, yellow mustard, chili powder and Worcestershire sauce. Stir in ground beef, careful to not overmix.
- With oiled hands, roll meat into golf-size balls.
- in large skillet, heat drizzle of vegetable oil. Brown meatballs on all sides. Stir in sloppy Joe sauce. Cover; cook 7 to 9 minutes, until meatballs are cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Using your hands, pull out the soft middle from the bread, forming a boat. Line inside with a few slices of provolone cheese.
- On baking sheet, arrange boats. Bake 5 to 7 minutes, until cheese is melted and bread is crisp. Remove from oven.
- Fill boat with meatballs and sauce. Drape a few more provolone cheese slices over filling; bake 5 minutes to melt cheese. Remove from oven.
- Garnish with minced parsley.