“Sloppy Jolindas” with TVP
TVP “Sloppy Jolindas” are reminiscent of those goopy sloppy Joes served up in school cafeterias, with all of the nostalgic comfort and none of the mystery meat. The TVP is only partially rehydrated, the better to absorb all the flavors.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1¾ cups TVP
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 can (16 oz.) tomato sauce
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. ground mustard
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. molasses
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. hot sauce
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- Combine the TVP with water and set aside fro at least 5 minutes.
- In a large soup or stock pot, sauté onion and bell pepper in oil until soft.
- Reduce heat to medium low and add TVP and remaining ingredients. Simmer, covered, for at least 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- For thicker and less sloppy “Sloppy Jolindas,” simmer a bit longer, uncovered, to reduce the liquid.