Slow-Cooked Chicken and Dumplings
Chicken and Dumplings is comfort food at its best, especially when it requires little to no work to achieve big flavors.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 5 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. dried dill weed
- ½ tsp. ground cayenne
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups shredded, cooked chicken breast
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup fat-free buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- Heat the canola oil in a small skillet, then add the onions and garlic. Sauté until softened, about 2 minutes. Add to an oval 4-quart slow cooker along with the carrots, celery, salt, pepper, dill weed, cayenne, and stock. Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Add the cooked chicken and turn up to high.
- Meanwhile, whisk the baking powder and flour in a medium bowl. Stir in the buttermilk and eggs. Mix to combine. Divide the mixture into 3" dumplings.
- Carefully drop the dumplings one at a time into the slow cooker. Cover and continue to cook on high for 30 minutes or until the dumplings are cooked through and fluffy. Top with green onions to serve.