Slow-Cooked Chicken Stock
Homemade chicken stock is much cheaper and tastier than store-bought.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 5 minutesTotal: 10 hours 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 chicken carcass
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 stalks celery, cut into chunks
- 2 medium onions, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 head garlic, peeled
- 2 chicken wings
- Place the carcass, carrots, celery, onions, parsnips, garlic, and wings into a 6-quart slow cooker. Fill the slow cooker with water until it is 2" below the top. Cover and cook on low for 10 hours.
- Strain into a large container. Discard the solids. Refrigerate the stock overnight. The next day, scoop off any fat that has floated to the top. Discard the fat.
- Freeze or refrigerate the broth until ready to use.