Slow-Cooked Cottage Pie
Cottage pie is similar to the more familiar shepherd’s pie, but it uses beef instead of lamb. This version uses lots of vegetables and lean meat.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 9 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 lb. 94% lean ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- 1⁄2 tsp. hot paprika
- 1⁄2 tsp. crushed rosemary
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried savory
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 3⁄4 cups plain mashed potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp. dried parsley
- Sauté the onions, garlic, carrots, celery, and beef in a large nonstick skillet until the ground beef is browned. Drain off any excess fat and discard it. Place the mixture into a round 4-quart slow cooker. Add the stock, paprika, rosemary, Worcestershire sauce, savory, salt, and pepper. Stir.
- Cook on low for 8 hours. Combine cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water. Add to slow cooker and mix well.
- Spread potatoes on top of the ground beef mixture in the slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, butter, and parsley. Sprinkle over the potatoes. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour until the potatoes are warmed through.