Slow-Cooked Irish Oatmeal with Fruit
Feel free to substitute other dried fruit according to your taste. Add a dried fruit mixture like a tropical mix of coconut, papaya, pineapple, and mango or strawberries, apples, and blueberries. It’s even a way you can sneak some prunes into your diet.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 7 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups steel-cut Irish oats
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup apple juice
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup snipped dried apricots
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1½ tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 medium apples, peeled, seeded, and diced
- ½ cup natural almonds
- ¼ cup unsalted pistachios
- ½ cup golden raisins
- ½ cup brown sugar
- Add the oats, water, apple juice, maple syrup, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and salt to a 4-quart slow cooker and stir to mix. Cover and cook on the low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours.
- In a small bowl, toss diced apples, nuts, and raisins with the remaining cinnamon. Serve the oatmeal warm topped with brown sugar and the fruit and nut mixture.