Slow-Cooked Pork Stew
This stew is good served over cooked rice.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 8 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 lbs. boneless pork shoulder, fat trimmed and cut into 1" cubes
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. sweet potatoes, washed, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 2" cinnamon stick
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14½ oz.) tomato puree
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup baby spinach
- Grease a 4-quart slow cooker with vegetable oil. Add all of the ingredients except the spinach; stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Discard the cinnamon stick. Stir in additional chicken broth or water if the stew is too thick and bring it to temperature. Stir in the spinach and allow it to wilt, about 5 minutes. Serve warm.