Slow Cooked Tomato Sauce
You can customize this sauce by adding different meats or poultry. Poultry makes a thinner sauce. Always brown or thoroughly cook your meat before adding it to the sauce.
Serves: 32Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 6 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2½ lbs. pork spare ribs (or any pork meat with bones)
- 1 lb. Italian sausage (casings removed)
- 3 Vidalia onions, peeled and diced
- 1 bulb garlic, peeled and minced
- 6 lbs. plum tomatoes, chopped
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 bunch fresh basil, chopped
- ½ bunch fresh oregano or marjoram, chopped
- ½ bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- Heat the oil to medium-high temperature in a large stockpot. Add the ribs and sausage, and brown for 10 minutes. Add the onions and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes, then add the tomatoes and stock. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 hours, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Add the herbs and spices, and simmer for a minimum of 3 more hours, uncovered and stirring occasionally.
- Adjust seasonings to taste, and serve or store as desired. Store in sealed containers and refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.