Slow Cooker "Baked" Apples
Make these lightly-spiced apples in a slow cooker for a simple dessert and elegant dessert. They would also be nice served with oatmeal for breakfast or brunch.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 6 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 baking apples, halved
- ½ cup water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 knob peeled fresh ginger
- 3 tsp. light brown sugar
- Using a melon-baller or round metal tablespoon-size measuring spoon, scoop out the seeds, leaving a round indentation.
- Place the apples in a single layer on the bottom of a 4- or 6-quart slow cooker. Add the water, cinnamon stick, and ginger.
- Cover and cook on low for 6–8 hours, or until the apples are tender and easily pierced with a fork.
- With a slotted spoon transfer the apples to a serving dish, skin-side down. Spoon ½ teaspoon of brown sugar into the indentation of each apple. Strain the cooking liquid through a fine-mesh sieve. Drizzle the liquid over the apples and fill the indentation. Serve hot.