Slow Cooker Barbecue Meatloaf
This recipe assumes youʼre using commercial barbecue sauce, which is usually thicker than homemade sauce. The brown sugar sprinkled over the top of the meatloaf helps caramelize the sauce.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 8 hours 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- ½ lb. lean ground pork
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1½ cups quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1½ cups barbecue sauce, plus extra for serving
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- Spray a large loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Add the ground beef, ground pork, eggs, onion, salt, pepper, oatmeal, parsley, and 1 cup of the barbecue sauce to a large bowl; mix well with your hands. Transfer to prepared loaf pan.
- Place the loaf pan onto the cooking rack in the slow cooker. Pour water into the slow cooker so that it comes up and over the cooking rack and about an inch up the sides of the loaf pan. Spread the remaining ½ cup of barbecue sauce over the top of the meatloaf. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the top of the barbecue sauce. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until the internal temperature of the meatloaf registers 165°F.
- Lift the meatloaf out of the slow cooker and place it on a cooling rack. Allow it to rest for 20 minutes before transferring it to a serving platter and slicing it. Serve with extra barbecue sauce.