Slow Cooker “Barbecued” Brisket Sandwiches
Because of the salt already in the barbecue sauce, bouillon, and soy sauce, no additional salt is added.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 8 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 brisket, (3 lbs.) trimmed of excess fat
- ½ cup barbecue sauce
- 3 Tbsp. chili sauce
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. powdered beef bouillon
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 8 hamburger rolls
- 4 cups prepared coleslaw
- Lightly spray the inside of a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and stir frequently for 3–4 minutes or until onions just start to brown. Push to the sides and add brisket. Let sear for 4 minutes, then carefully use tongs to turn brisket over. Let sear for another 4 minutes.
- Transfer brisket and onions to prepared slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the barbecue sauce, chili sauce, chili powder, soy sauce, bouillon, cinnamon, cumin, and pepper. Pour mixture over brisket. Cover and cook on low for 7–8 hours or until brisket is very tender.
- Transfer the brisket to a cutting board. Use two forks to shred the meat. Skim any excess fat from the sauce. Return shredded meat to the cooker and stir to combine.
- To serve, divide meat among dinner rolls. Serve with coleslaw.