Slow Cooker Basque-Style Chicken
Basque cooking traditionally uses bell peppers, rice, and spices. Omit the cayenne pepper to reduce the heat.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 8 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 large red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 chicken (3½ lbs., cut into eighths
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 cups cooked rice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Lightly grease the inside of a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, garlic, bell peppers, paprika, and thyme to skillet and sauté frequently until vegetables soften, 7–8 minutes.
- Transfer vegetables to the slow cooker. Return skillet to the stovetop and add the chicken. Lightly brown the chicken, about 2 minutes per side (chicken will not be cooked through).
- Place the chicken over the vegetables in the slow cooker. Stir in the vinegar and chicken broth. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear when pierced with a knife.
- Stir in cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Serve chicken over rice. Ladle on sauce and garnish with parsley.