Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon
For a complete fine-dining experience, serve Beef Bourguignon over buttered gluten-free noodles with sautéed carrots.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 8 hours 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 8 slices bacon, diced
- 1 boneless English or chuck roast (3 lbs.)
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 16 oz. fresh cremini mushrooms, cut in quarters, divided
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 4 cups Burgundy wine
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- In a large nonstick skillet, fry bacon over medium heat until it renders its fat. Use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon and reserve it for another use. Trim roast of any fat and cut it into bite-sized pieces; add to the skillet and brown over medium-high heat for 10 minutes turning every few minutes. Transfer to a 6-quart slow cooker. Cover.
- Add the mushrooms to the skillet; sauté for 10 minutes or until the liquids have evaporated and the mushrooms are beginning to brown. Transfer to the slow cooker and replace the cover.
- Add diced onion to the skillet and sauté for 5 minutes or until transparent. Add carrot, celery and garlic; sauté for 30 seconds, and then add the tomato paste to the skillet and sauté for 3 minutes. Transfer the onion mixture to the slow cooker. Wipe out the pan.
- Add butter and flour to the skillet and cook for 7 minutes, or until the flour is beginning to brown. Stir in broth, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned bits and work them into the sauce. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in Burgundy, thyme, bay leaf, salt, and pepper; stir to combine. Pour into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Remove bay leaf before serving and garnish with chopped parsley.