Slow Cooker Beef Rouladen
Beef, thinly pounded and stuffed with vegetables, makes an excellent main dish for entertaining.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 8 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1½ lbs. bottom round steak
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cans (4 oz.) sliced mushrooms, drained
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 Tbsp. mustard
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- In large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and carrots; cook and stir until tender, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat and place in medium bowl; let cool for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut round steak into 6 equal portions. Trim excess fat, then place between sheets of waxed paper and pound until ¼-inch thick. Divide bell pepper strips among beef, then top with onion mixture. Roll up, enclosing filling; secure with toothpicks.
- On plate, combine flour, salt, and pepper and mix. Dredge beef rolls in flour mixture. In same skillet, melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Brown beef rolls on all sides. Place mushrooms in 4-quart slow cooker; top with beef rolls.
- Deglaze skillet with beef broth; add tomatoes, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a simmer. Pour into slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7–8 hours or until beef is tender. Serve rouladen with sauce.