Slow-Cooker Beef Stew
Stews simmer for a long time to tenderize the beef and blend ingredients. This easy recipe is a classic.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 8 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. lean top round steak
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. dried marjoram leaves
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups fat-free beef broth
- 6 medium red potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup green beans
- 2 cups water
- Trim excess fat from steak and cut into 1" cubes. Sprinkle cubes with salt, pepper, flour, and marjoram leaves. In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add beef; cook and stir until browned, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer beef to 4-quart slow cooker. Add onion, potatoes, carrots, and tomatoes and mix well.
- Add beef broth and water to skillet; bring to a boil, stirring to remove drippings. Pour into slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours until beef and vegetables are very tender. Add green beans, cover and cook for an additional 15 minutes. Serve hot.