Slow Cooker Beer-Cheese Soup
For best results, use a pale ale in this recipe.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 4 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup butter
- ½ medium white onion, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bottle (12 oz.) beer
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. ground mustard
- ½ tsp. paprika
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter, then sauté the onion, carrots, and celery until just softened, about 5–7 minutes. Add the flour and stir to form a roux. Let cook for 2–3 minutes.
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, add the cooked vegetables and roux, then slowly pour in the vegetable broth and beer while whisking.
- Add the milk, cheese, salt, pepper, and mustard. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Let the soup cool slightly, then blend until smooth, or you can skip this step and serve chunky. Garnish with paprika.