Slow Cooker Black Bean Salsa
If making this addicting salsa in advance, add cilantro just before serving.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 7 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup dried black beans, rinsed and soaked overnight in plenty of water
- 3 tsp. salt, divided
- 1⁄2 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 small red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 lime, juiced (about 2 Tbsp. juice)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 large bag (18 oz.) tortilla chips
- Add the beans to a large pot and cover with water. Boil on high heat for 10 minutes, then drain.
- Add beans, enough fresh water to cover by 1 inch, and 2 teaspoons salt to a 4-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Check the beans to see if they are tender after about 5 hours; continue cooking if necessary, checking every 30 minutes.
- When the beans are done, drain in a colander; set aside to cool for 30 minutes.
- Place half the beans in a large mixing bowl and mash. Add the remaining beans, bell peppers, onion, lime juice, and olive oil. Sprinkle with remaining salt and hot pepper sauce. Gently combine.
- Transfer to a 2-quart serving bowl. Serve with tortilla chips.