Slow Cooker Blackberry Barbecue Sauce
A red wine with a distinct berry aroma like Pinot Noir works best in this recipe. The sauce complements chicken, duck, or game hen.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 8 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 small sweet onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ¼ cup red wine
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2½ lbs. blackberries
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Add the oil and onion to a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 1 minute or until the onion is transparent.
- Stir in the garlic; cover and microwave on high for 30 seconds.
- Add the onion-garlic mixture to the slow cooker along with the wine, vinegar, blackberries, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, lemon zest, salt, and crushed red pepper. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until thickened.
- Stir in lemon juice. Can be refrigerated in covered containers for up to 2 weeks.