Slow Cooker Borscht
When available, you can substitute about a pound of diced vine-ripened tomatoes for the canned.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 7 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1½ Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ lb. chuck roast, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 lb. red beets
- 1 small head cabbage, cored and chopped
- 1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 7 cups beef broth
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ cup sour cream
- 8 sprigs fresh dill
- Add the oil, garlic, beef, and onion to the slow cooker; stir to coat the beef and vegetables in the oil. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until the onion is transparent.
- Peel and dice the beets. (You may wish to wear gloves; beet juice can stain your hands and fingernails. Be careful, because it can also stain some countertops.)
- Add the cabbage, tomatoes, beets, beef broth, vinegar, bay leaves, and lemon juice to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish each bowl with a tablespoon of sour cream and some fresh dill.