Slow Cooker Cannellini and Vegetable Stew
Make this rich vegan stew by cooking cannellini beans with onion, fire-roasted tomatoes, carrots, and red bell pepper in a slow cooker. Serve with fresh baby spinach leaves.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 5 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 bag (16 oz.) dried cannellini beans, soaked overnight
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (14 oz.) fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1⁄2-inch strips
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 8 oz. fresh baby spinach
- Drain and rinse beans. Add beans to a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to boil on high heat. Boil 10 minutes, then drain.
- Add beans, water, vegetable broth, fire-roasted tomatoes, garlic, thyme, and bay leaves to a 4-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours. Check the beans to see if they are tender and continue cooking if necessary.
- Remove the bay leaves and stir in the salt, and pepper. Scoop into individual bowls. Garnish each bowl with an ounce of baby spinach leaves. Stir into stew before eating.