Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions
Caramelized onions are a great addition to roasts, dips, and sandwiches.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 10 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 lbs. red onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 Tbsp. butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tsp. packed dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Place onions in a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker. Scatter butter slices over top of the onions.
- Drizzle the onions with brown sugar, vinegar, and olive oil. Add salt and pepper and stir well. Cover and cook on low for 10 hours.
- If after 10 hours the onions are still wet, turn the slow cooker up to high and cook uncovered for an additional 30 minutes or until the liquid evaporates.