Slow Cooker Carrot-Coconut Soup
Make this rich and flavorful soup in a slow cooker. Lemongrass is a common ingredient in southeast Asian cuisine and is available in most large grocery stores or Asian markets. Peel away the tough outer layers to find the pale stem inside. Trim the base and bruise the stem with the side of a chef’s knife before adding it to the slow cooker.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 6 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 lb. carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 stalk lemongrass, outer layers and base trimmed, bruised with side of knife
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- In a medium skillet over medium-low, heat olive oil. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, or about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for an additional 30 seconds.
- Transfer to a 6-quart slow cooker. Add carrots, vegetable broth, lemongrass, soy sauce, and lime juice. Cover and cook on low heat for 6 hours or until carrots are very tender.
- Stir in the coconut milk and salt. Use an immersion blender or traditional blender to purée the soup until very smooth. Serve with croutons or crusty bread.