Slow Cooker Celery Root and Potato Soup
A slow cooker is the perfect tool for making this hearty soup made with celery root (also known as celeriac), potatoes, leeks, and garlic. Purée the soup before serving with ground pepper.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 8 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. vegan butter
- 1 small leek (white and light green parts only), sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large celery root, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the leeks and sauté about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté an additional 30 seconds.
- In a 4-quart slow cooker, add the sautéed leeks and garlic, celery root, potatoes, broth, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook over low heat for 8 hours.
- Let the soup cool slightly, then process in a blender or with an immersion blender until smooth but still a little chunky. Garnish with freshly ground black pepper.