Slow Cooker Colcannon
A traditional Irish potato and cabbage recipe, this side dish is an incredibly healthy way to include more vitamin-rich leafy green vegetables into your gluten-free diet.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 4 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2½ lbs. russet potatoes (about 4 large), peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 3 cups chopped green cabbage (or kale, chard, or other leafy green)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 scallions, sliced
- Add potatoes to a medium saucepan. Cover with cold water and add salt. Bring to a boil. Cook potatoes until they are fork tender, about 10–15 minutes. Drain potatoes and add to a greased 4-quart slow cooker.
- Add butter and chopped greens to slow cooker. Stir into potatoes. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- An hour before serving, stir milk into the potatoes, and mash potatoes into the greens with a fork. Sprinkle with scallions.