Slow Cooker Corn Chowder
This corn and potato chowder is given extra flavor with crunchy crumbled bacon.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 8 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- ½ small jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. brown rice flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cans (15 oz.) sweet corn kernels, drained
- 1 lb. red potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups gluten-free chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
- In a large pan, sauté bacon until crispy and browned. Remove bacon and set aside. Cook onion in bacon grease and sauté until translucent, about 3–5 minutes.
- Whisk in jalapeño, garlic, flour, salt, and pepper and cook for 1 minute more until flour is toasted.
- Grease a 4- or 6-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Add onion mixture to the slow cooker. Add corn, potatoes, and chicken broth. Stir ingredients together.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- One hour before serving stir in half-and-half. Add additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve chowder by ladling into large bowls and garnishing with bacon and chives.