Slow Cooker Cream of Potato Soup
This creamy soup is delicious with warm slices of a dark bread like pumpernickel.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 3 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and minced
- 2 medium leeks, white and light green parts only, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 cups whole milk
- 2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Sauté onion, leeks, celery, bay leaf, and clove until onion is soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in flour until it is mixed in well. Add 1 cup milk and mix well. Transfer to a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add potatoes, salt, cayenne pepper, and remaining 7 1⁄2 cups milk to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours.
- Mix egg yolk, cream, and parsley in a small bowl. Stir mixture into soup.
- Remove clove and bay leaf. Working in batches, purée the soup in a blender then return to the slow cooker to keep warm until serving.