Slow Cooker Cream of Winter Vegetable Soup
Serve this soup with a tossed salad, smoked sausage, and French or artisan whole-grain bread.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 8 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 4 leeks
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 large turnips, peeled and diced
- 6 cups boiling water
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1¼ cups crème fraîche
- Coat the inside of the crock of the slow cooker with the butter. Slice the white parts of the leeks and about an inch of the green parts into ½-inch thick slices; rinse well and drain. Add to the slow cooker along with the onion, carrots, potatoes, and turnips. Pour the boiling water over the vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until all the vegetables are tender.
- Use an immersion blender to purée the soup. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if desired. Stir in the crème fraîche; cover and cook on low for 15 minutes, or until the soup is brought back to temperature.