Slow Cooker Cream of Winter Vegetable Soup
Serve this soup with a tossed salad, smoked sausage, and French or artisan whole-grain bread.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 8 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 4 leeks
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 large turnips, peeled and diced
- 6 cups boiling water
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups crème fraîche
- Coat the inside of the crock of a slow cooker with butter. Slice the white parts of leeks and about an inch of the green parts into 1⁄2-inch slices; rinse well and drain. Add to the slow cooker along with onion, carrots, potatoes, and turnips. Pour boiling water over vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until all vegetables are tender.
- Use an immersion blender to purée the soup. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in crème fraîche; cover and cook on low for 15 minutes, or until the soup is brought back to temperature.