Slow Cooker Curried Lentils
Serve this Indian-style dish with hot brown or white rice. It can also be served with plain yogurt or sour cream as garnish or on the side. Reduce the amount of jalapeños or omit completely if they are too spicy for your taste.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 3 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 2 tsp. butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- 1 lb. yellow lentils
- 6 cups water
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Heat the butter in a sauté pan. Sauté the onion until they start to brown, about 8–10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, jalapeños, red pepper flakes, and cumin. Sauté for 2–3 minutes. Add the onion mixture to a 4-quart slow cooker.
- Sort through the lentils and discard any rocks or foreign matter, then rinse and drain. Add the lentils to the slow cooker. Stir in the water, salt, and turmeric.
- Cover and cook on high for 2½ hours. Add the cilantro and serve with rice.