Save to My Recipes
Serve étouffé over cooked rice.
Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 7 hours
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 large white onion, peeled and diced
- 6 green onions
- 2 medium ribs celery, finely diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 cans (15 oz.) diced tomatoes, drained
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. dried basil, crumbled
- ½ tsp. dried oregano, crumbled
- ½ tsp. dried thyme, crumbled
- ¼ tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- 1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb. sea scallops, quartered
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. cold water
- Tabasco sauce
- Add oil and white onion to a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Clean green onions and chop white parts and about 1" of greens. Add to the slow cooker along with celery, bell pepper, and jalapeño. Stir to coat vegetables in oil. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Stir in garlic and tomato paste. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, salt, basil, oregano, thyme, and cayenne pepper. Reduce the heat setting to low; cover and cook for 6 hours.
- Stir in shrimp and scallops. Increase the heat setting to high, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add cornstarch and water to a small bowl. Stir to mix. Remove any lumps. Uncover the slow cooker and stir in the cornstarch mixture. Cook and stir for 5 minutes or until mixture is thickened and the cornstarch flavor is cooked out. Stir in Tabasco sauce to taste.