Slow Cooker Fish and Bean Chili
Play with different types of peppers for different levels of heat.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 4 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large leek (white and pale green parts only), sliced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 4 oz. firm tofu, drained and chopped
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, sliced
- 1 medium Serrano chili, sliced
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large plum tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup brewed strong coffee
- 1 tsp. packed light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 2 cups cooked pinto, cannellini, or red kidney beans
- 2 lbs. firm-fleshed fish (Chilean sea bass, halibut, or red snapper), sliced on the bias
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the leek, onion, tofu, jalapeño, and Serrano to the pan. Season with the chili powder, cayenne, and black pepper. Cook until softened, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Pour the onion and tofu mixture into a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker. Add the tomatoes.
- Whisk together the wine, broth, coffee, brown sugar, and honey in a small bowl. Pour into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 1⁄2 hours. Stir in the beans and fish and cook for 30 minutes more.