Slow-Cooker French Onion Soup
To convert this to a stovetop method, simmer in a covered pot at a low temperature for 1 hour, adding water when necessary.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 8 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 large yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup medium dry sherry
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 6 slices French bread
- ¼ cup grated Romano cheese
- In a large frying pan, melt the butter on medium heat and sauté the onions until limp. Transfer to a slow cooker. Add the broth, wine, sherry, Worcestershire, and garlic. Cover. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Place French bread on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with the cheese. Place under a preheated boiler until lightly toasted. To serve, ladle soup into bowl. Float a slice of toasted French bread on top.