Slow Cooker Fresh Tomato Sauce
With this fresh tomato sauce in your repertoire, youʼll never want to buy sauce in a can or jar again.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 6 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 20 large plum tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground red pepper
- 2 large red onions, peeled and diced
- 1 medium shallot, peeled and diced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 10 large fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- ¼ bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Fill a large bowl with cold water and ice. Gently make a small “x” in the bottom of each tomato, just piercing the skin with a small paring knife. Gently drop the tomatoes into the boiling water using a slotted spoon. Cook for 1 minute. Remove the tomatoes from the boiling water and place them in the ice bath. Let cool and remove the skins. Roughly chop the tomatoes and place in a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a saucepan until it shimmers, about 1 minute. Add the salt, red pepper, onions, and shallot and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and brown sugar; cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add wine, basil, oregano, and parsley. Transfer mixture to the slow cooker. Stir well.
- Cook on low for 4–6 hours. Sauce will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or the freezer for up to 6 months.