Slow Cooker Fresh Vegetable Soup
If fresh herbs are available, you can replace the dried herbs with a bouquet garni made by tying a small bunch of parsley and a stalk each of thyme, basil, and marjoram together with kitchen twine and suspending it in the soup.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 7 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 cups water or chicken broth
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 can (28 oz.) whole plum tomatoes, crushed
- 4 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 acorn squash, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cans (15 oz.) white beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ tsp. dried thyme
- ¼ tsp. dried basil
- ¼ tsp. dried marjoram
- 2 tsp. dried parsley
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- ½ cup celery leaves, chopped
- ½ lb. green beans, ends trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- ½ lb. zucchini, sliced
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Add the water or broth, onion, tomatoes, carrots, acorn squash, potatoes, beans, thyme, basil, marjoram, and parsley to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until the acorn squash and potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the celery, celery leaves, green beans, and zucchini. Add additional water or broth if needed. Cover and cook for 1 hour or until the newly added vegetables are cooked through. Ladle into soup bowls.