Slow Cooker Fruited Turkey Roast
A pinch of dried red pepper flakes acts as a flavor enhancer. Add more if you prefer sweet and spicy sauce. You can add more kick to the sauce by substituting spicy mustard for the stone-ground.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 8 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- Nonstick spray
- 1 turkey roast (3 lb.)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 cup cranberries
- 2 peaches, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1⁄4 cup chicken or turkey broth
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. stone-ground mustard
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Treat the crock of the slow cooker with nonstick spray. Add the turkey. Pour the diced onion, cranberries, and diced peaches around the turkey. Add the broth, brown sugar, mustard, and red pepper flakes, if using, to a bowl; stir to mix, adding the orange zest if using. Pour into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until the internal temperature of the roast reaches 170°F.
- Remove the turkey to a serving platter. (If the turkey roast is held together with a net, you can remove it at this time. Some find it easier to carve with the net in place. Regardless, allow the turkey to “rest” for at least 10 minutes before you slice it.) Cover and keep warm.
- Use an immersion blender to purée the pan liquids. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Transfer to a gravy boat and serve alongside the roast.