Slow Cooker Gluten-Free Bolognese Sauce
Try this warm and comforting meaty tomato sauce with cooked gluten-free pasta, spaghetti squash, or even cooked brown rice.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 8 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 slices uncooked bacon, diced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup gluten-free beef stock
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- In a skillet brown the onion, carrot, and celery in olive oil until tender, about 6–8 minutes. Add the bacon and cook until it has rendered fat into the pan, about 3–4 minutes. Add the ground beef and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. If the ground beef renders a lot of fat, drain before adding to the slow cooker.
- Transfer the cooked vegetables and meat into a 4-quart slow cooker.
- Add the tomatoes, wine, and broth to the slow cooker. Stir all ingredients together.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Season with salt and pepper before serving.