Slow Cooker Gumbo
Serve this Cajun classic over white or brown rice.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 8 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. brown rice flour
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp. Cajun seasoning
- 4 chicken andouille sausages, sliced
- 1½ cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 2 cups sliced okra
- In a nonstick skillet, melt the butter. Add the flour and stir until the flour is golden brown. Add the pepper, garlic, onion, carrots, and celery. Sauté for 3–5 minutes.
- Add the mixture to a 4-quart slow cooker. Add the stock, seasoning, sausage, and tomatoes. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Add the okra for the last hour of cooking. Stir prior to serving.