Slow Cooker Ham Broth
In the same way that adding a ham bone to the cooking liquid for ham and bean soup improves the soupʼs flavor,
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 14 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 bone-in ham (3 lbs.) or 3 lbs. of ham bones
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 12 baby carrots
- 2 stalks celery, cut in half
- 4½ cups water
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- Add all ingredients to a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until the ham pulls away from the bone.
- Strain; discard the celery and onion. Reserve any ham removed from the bones and the carrots for another use. Once cooled, cover and refrigerate the broth overnight. Remove and discard any hardened fat. The broth can be kept for 1 or 2 days in the refrigerator or frozen up to 3 months.