Slow Cooker Hunter's Chicken
Spend a few quick minutes in the morning preparing the ingredients. The chicken will cook all day without help and will be ready and waiting for you by dinnertime.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 6 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- Nonstick spray
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (8 oz.) button mushrooms, chopped
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ cup dry sherry (or dry white wine)
- 1 whole chicken (3 lbs.), cut into quarters or eighths, most of the skin removed
- Spray the inside of a 4- or 6-quart slow cooker with the nonstick spray.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the onion and bell pepper; cook until the vegetables are just tender, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes.
- Add the thyme, garlic, and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms are almost cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, black pepper, and white wine; bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Pour about half the sauce into the prepared cooker. Arrange chicken parts over sauce, overlapping them to fit. Pour remaining sauce over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4–6 hours or until chicken is cooked through. Garnish with parsley just before serving.