Slow Cooker Indian Lamb Curry
Lamb is a rich source of iron and zinc, as well as an excellent source of protein.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 8 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 3 medium yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 piece ginger (2"), peeled and grated
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1½ tsp. ground turmeric
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3 lbs. boneless leg of lamb, cut into 1" cubes
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 1⅓ cups coconut milk
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add onions and garlic, and sauté until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in the ginger, cumin, cayenne, and turmeric, and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Pour in broth, raise heat to high, and deglaze the pan, stirring to scrape up the browned bits on the bottom. When broth comes to a boil, remove pan from heat.
- Put lamb in a 6-quart slow cooker, and add contents of frying pan. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Add baby spinach to slow cooker and cook, stirring occasionally, until spinach is wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in coconut milk. Spoon into shallow bowls and serve hot.