Slow Cooker Irish Coddle
Serve this stew with Irish soda bread. For a change, use beer in place of the chicken broth.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 6 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1½ lbs. pork sausage links, cut into 1" pieces
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Add the sausage to a large nonstick skillet. Brown the sausage over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes. Add salt, pepper, and the onion; sauté the onion for 5 minutes or until it is transparent. Drain the meat and onion mixture of any excess fat; discard the fat.
- Spread ⅓ of the meat-onion mixture over the bottom of the slow cooker. Add the potatoes in a layer, sprinkling them with salt and pepper if desired. Spoon another ⅓ of the meat-onion mixture over the potatoes. Top that with the carrots in a layer. Spread the remaining meat-onion mixture over the top of the carrots.
- Pour in the broth. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until the vegetables are tender. Stir to mix; taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Ladle into bowls to serve.