Slow Cooker Lentil-Vegetable Soup
This tomato-rich, thick, and delicious soup isn’t just healthy and satisfying. Thanks to the slow cooker, it’s also convenient, making it that much easier to eat healthy. For ease, the recipe calls for fresh baby spinach; substitute an equal amount of standard fresh chopped spinach or frozen spinach if you prefer.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 8 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight, rinsed, and drained
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and minced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 10 oz. fresh baby spinach
- 1 can (15 oz.) no salt added diced tomatoes, with juice
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups vegetable juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. all-purpose seasoning
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Place all ingredients in a slow cooker and stir well to combine. It may be a bit crowded initially because of the spinach, but will quickly cook down.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low 8 hours, stirring occasionally if possible. Cook until vegetables, lentils, and chickpeas are tender. Serve hot.