Slow Cooker Marinara Sauce
You can serve this sauce separately or toss it with the pasta before bringing it to the table. Serve pasta along with a tossed salad, garlic bread, cooked meatballs, or Italian sausage, and have lots of freshly-grated Parmesan cheese and a pepper grinder available.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 5 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1½ tsp. dried oregano
- ⅛ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 4 cans (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1½ tsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- Add the oil and onions to the slow cooker. Cover and, stirring occasionally, cook on high for 30–45 minutes or until onions are golden brown. Stir in the garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, and tomato paste. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the wine and undrained tomatoes. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or until sauce is no longer watery. Stir in the cheese, sugar, and salt.