Slow Cooker Mocha Custard
If youʼre impatient and indulgent, spoon this custard directly from the slow cooker and add even more calories by using the custard as hot sauce over ice cream. Otherwise, serve chilled according to the recipe instructions. Top with a dollop of whipped cream dusted with cocoa powder if desired.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 6 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄4 cup instant espresso powder
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 6 large eggs
- 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla or maple extract
- Add the espresso powder, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt to a blender or food processor. Pulse to mix and remove any lumps.
- Add the half-and-half, eggs, and extract to the blender or food processor. Process until blended.
- Spray a slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Pour in the custard mixture. Cover and cook on low for 2 1⁄2 hours, or until the edges of the custard begin to puff and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the crock from the slow cooker; place it on hot pads or a rack. Let the custard stand at room temperature for an hour or until cooled. Cover the top of the crock with plastic wrap or the slow cooker lid; refrigerate for 4 hours. Serve spooned into custard cups or your favorite dessert stemware.