Slow Cooker Mole Sauce
Just like recipes for barbecue sauce in the United States, mole sauce recipes in Mexico vary greatly by region.
Serves: 32Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 2 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ medium onion, peeled and finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 chipotles in adobo, seeded and minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 oz. vegan dark chocolate, chopped fine
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add onion, and garlic and sauté about 3 minutes. Stir in the cumin, cinnamon, and coriander and sauté for 1 minute.
- Transfer the sautéed mixture to a 4-quart slow cooker. Add the chili powder, chipotles, and salt, then whisk in the vegetable broth. Finally, add the chocolate.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 2 hours.