Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken with Couscous
If you are rushed for time, skip the sautéing; simply combine the ingredients in step 2 in a 2-quart saucepan and heat to a simmer before proceeding with the remaining steps.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 3 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- Nonstick spray
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. sweet paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup halved dried apricots
- 1 can (10 oz.) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 chicken (3 lbs.), cut up into quarters or eighths, most of the skin removed
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups cooked couscous
- Spray the inside of 4-quart slow cooker with the nonstick spray.
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan. When hot, add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the ginger, garlic, coriander, and paprika. Cook the vegetables for another minute, then add the bay leaves, raisins, dried apricots, and chicken broth; bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Pour about a third of the sauce into the prepared cooker. Arrange the chicken on top of the sauce, overlapping the pieces if necessary to fit. Pour remaining sauce over the chicken. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours or until chicken is cooked through.
- Uncover and stir in the lemon juice and parsley. Remove bay leaves. Serve hot over couscous.