Slow Cooker Mushroom Barley Soup
Using three types of mushrooms in this soup adds a more robust flavor.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 8 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 oz. dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1½ tsp. butter
- 5 oz. shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 4 oz. button mushrooms, halved
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- ⅔ cup medium pearl barley
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- 6 cups beef broth
- In a heat-safe bowl, place the dried porcini mushrooms; pour the boiling water over the mushrooms. Soak for 15 minutes, drain and discard the water.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sauté pan, melt the butter. Sauté the shiitake and button mushrooms, onion, and garlic until the onions are soft, about 3 minutes.
- To a 4-quart slow cooker, add the drained porcini mushrooms, shiitake and button mushrooms, onions, garlic, barley, pepper, salt, and broth. Stir, cover, and cook 6–8 hours on low.