Slow Cooker Parmesan Mushroom Risotto
To make risotto the traditional way, one usually has to stand by the cooking pot, slowly stirring hot chicken broth into the rice as it cooks. A slow cooker will do the work for you after the initial stir.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- ½ cup finely diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 Tbsp. butter, softened
- Heat the oil in a nonstick pan. Sauté the onion, garlic, and mushrooms until soft, about 4–5 minutes.
- Add thyme, ½ cup broth, and the rice and cook until the liquid is fully absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the rice mixture into a 4-quart slow cooker. Sir in the water, wine, salt, and remaining broth. Cover and cook on high for 1½–2 hours or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in ¼ cup Parmesan cheese and butter. Serve topped with remaining cheese.