Slow Cooker Pinto Beans with Beer and Lime Juice
Cook pinto beans with beer and lime juice in a slow cooker and then process into just chunky in a food processor. Serve as an appetizer with tortilla chips or as a side dish with cooked shrimp, grilled meat, or vegetables.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 5 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ medium onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ lb. dry pinto beans
- 3 cups water
- 1 bottle (12 oz.) Mexican beer
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 Tbsp. lime juice
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, or until soft. Add garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds. Add flour and stir until smooth and incorporated.
- Transfer to a slow cooker and add the dry pinto beans, 3 cups water, and beer to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high heat for 5 hours or until the beans are tender. Drain the pinto beans.
- To a food processor, add pinto beans, minced jalapeño, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Pulse until mixture is blended but still chunky. If too thick, add water a tablespoon at a time until it loosens to the desired consistency. Serve hot or at room temperature.