Slow Cooker Pumpkin Bread
This bread freezes well. Make it ahead of your party, freeze, and then thaw and bring out the day guests arrive.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 2 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups pumpkin purée
- 2⁄3 cup water
- Sift the flour, baking soda, salt, and spices to mix.
- Blend the sugar with the shortening, then blend in the eggs. Add the pumpkin and water to the egg mixture. Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture and stir well.
- Grease and flour 2 loaf pans. Fill the baking dishes three-quarters or less full; cover each dish with foil or a glass or ceramic lid. Arrange the dishes on a trivet or rack in a large slow cooker, and pour water around the base of the trivet.
- Cover and heat on a high setting for 2 hours.